– Sambo Dasuki, the former National Security Adviser to former President Goodluck Jonathan, has been in detention over an alleged $2.2 billion scandal
– His former boss has now spoken out concerning the said amount reportedly meant to prosecute the fight against Boko Haram Former President Goodluck Jonathan has finally spoken out concerning the controversial $2.2 billion allegedly distributed through the office of the National Security Adviser then headed by Sambo Dasuki.
Dasuki has been in detention since December 1, 2015, with many of the arrested former officials under Jonathan reportedly confessing that they got a share of the fund from the former NSA’s office.
Finally speaking concerning the scandal that has not been termed Dasuki gate, Jonathan said it was not possible for the man at the centre to have stolen such a whooping amount under his government.
Dasuki is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for being a major player in the alleged disbursement of the fund. According to reports, the fund was supposed to be used for the procurement of arms for the prosecution of the war against Boko Haram, but it was allegedly diverted.
Premium Times reports that while speaking at the famous Oxford Union, Oxford United Kingdom, Jonathan said:“They said the National Security Adviser stole $2.2billion. I don’t believe somebody can just steal $2.2 billion.
“We bought warships, we bought aircraft, we bought lots of weapons for the army and so on and so forth and you are still saying 2.2 billion, so where did we get the money to buy all those things?
”He said the issue was exaggerated and added: “Yes, there were some issues; yes, there are still corruption issues; but some of it were blown, I’d say exaggerated, and they give a very bad impression about our nation.
“You cannot say the national security adviser stole $2.2billion. It is not just possible.“One thing about the issue of corruption is that these matter are in court, let’s allow some of these processes to end. Lately some judges’ (homes) were also invaded.
“There are so many things involved and we have to follow up these matters to conclusion before we know the fact. “I don’t want to be seen as a former president challenging what the sitting government is doing so I have decided to keep quiet for the court to look into them. ”He noted that corruption had been a major issue with successive governments in the country as his was not unique in this regard. He said that allegations of corruption were not unique to his administration.
He explained that governments have been overthrown in the past because they were accused of being corrupt only for the new administration itself be pushed out of power by another junta touting the anti-corruption mantra. “You will see that it has become a major topic whenever there is a change of government.
“I am not saying there is no corruption in Nigeria, there is corruption. If you look at corruption there is almost no country that is free, the degree varies, the perception varies.
“Transparency International talks about the way corruption is being perceived in different economies, why do we talk about the way corruption is being perceived, it depends on the issue raised in the media every day,
”he said. The presidential advisory committee against corruption (PACAC) had recently said just 55 people stole N1.3trillion from the national treasury in seven years under President Goodluck Jonathan’s watch. The PACAC made the disclosure in its report of activities from August 2015 to July 2016 presented to civil society organisations (CSOs)during an interactive session in Abuja on Thursday, October 20.
Posted By Durojaiye (Oga_Blogger)